- 4 slices Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grain Double Flax Bread, toasted
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 3 cups (750 mL) prepared marinara sauce
In food processor, pulse toast to make fine crumbs; set aside.
Add black beans, garlic, onion, egg, oregano, salt and pepper to food processor; blend until combined. Add bread crumbs; pulse until mixture starts to form a ball. Spoon heaping tablespoonfuls (15 mL) of mixture into balls.
Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat; fry black bean meatballs, turning occasionally, in batches, for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp on all sides; drain on paper towels. Pour marinara sauce into skillet and return meatballs to pan; simmer for about 5 minutes or until sauce is hot and bubbling.
Tip: Serve with a tossed green salad if desired.