- 2 slices day-old Dempster's® White Bread
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) herbed cream cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 cups (1 L) cooked penne pasta (optional)
Tear bread slices into food processor; pulse until finely ground and set aside.
Heat 10-inch (25 cm) ovenproof skillet over high heat; add broccoli and 1/4 cup (60 mL) water. Cover and cook for about 4 minutes or until tender-crisp. Add chicken; cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until chicken is heated through.
Reduce heat to low; add cream cheese and 3/4 cup (175 mL) water. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes or until cream cheese melts and broccoli is tender. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese and bread crumbs over top.
Broil for about 2 minutes or until cheese melts and bread crumbs are golden brown. Serve with pasta (if desired).
• This dish is just as delicious made with leftover turkey instead of chicken.
• Substitute cauliflower for broccoli if desired.