- 6 slices Dempster’s® White Bread, day old, torn into pieces (approx.)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely ground cornmeal
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegan sour cream, for serving
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
Toss together bread pieces, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir in almond milk and lime juice until well coated.
Stir in corn and jalapeño (mixture should be moist but not soggy and stick together when scooped up; if needed, stir in additional torn bread pieces).
Using 1/4 cup (60 mL) per fritter, shape corn mixture into 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick fritters.
Transfer to parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
Heat 1/3 cup (75 mL) oil in large skillet set over medium heat; in two batches, cook fritters, turning, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown all over, adding more oil as needed.
Transfer fritters to parchment paper–lined baking sheet; bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through.
Transfer to paper towel–lined plate.
Serve with vegan sour cream.