- 6 slices Dempster’s® White Bread
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, melted
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly sweetened whipped cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated dark chocolate
- Cranberry Sauce:
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) fresh cranberries
Cranberry Sauce: In small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water, sugar and lemon juice to boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add cranberries and reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 to 12 minutes or until berries burst. Let cool.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Trim crusts from bread and cut bread into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces; toss with melted butter. Mix together butter, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg; toss with bread cubes. Place in single layer on parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Let cool.
Arrange half of the bread cubes in bottom of 4 glass dessert bowls. Top with half of the cranberry sauce and whipped cream. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with chocolate.
Tip: You can also drizzle melted chocolate over trifles if desired.