- 12 slices Dempster’s® Supergrains Bread
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded aged white Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- Broccoli-Walnut Pesto:
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked, cooled broccoli florets
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) walnut halves, toasted
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
Broccoli-Walnut Pesto: Combine broccoli, parsley, walnuts, cheese and garlic in food processor; pulse until mixture is very finely chopped. Add oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper; pulse until well combined.
Spread pesto evenly over one side of 6 slices of bread; top with cheese and remaining bread. Brush the outside of each sandwich with olive oil.
In large, nonstick skillet set over medium heat, toast sandwiches, in batches, for 3 minutes per side or until bread is golden and cheese is melted. (Reduce heat to medium-low if bread begins to toast too quickly before cheese is melting.) Cut sandwiches in half; serve immediately.