- 8 slices Dempster's® 100% Whole Grains Seed Lover's Bread, toasted
- 1 small eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch (5 mm) slices (about 300 g/10 oz)
- 1 red pepper, quartered
- 1 onion, sliced into thick rings
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) raisins
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pine nuts
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped basil
- 1/2 tsp (10 mL) salt
Preheat grill to medium heat; grease grate well. Grill eggplant, turning, for 10 minutes or until grill-marked and tender. Grill red peppers and onion, turning, for 5 to 8 minutes or until grill marked and tender.
Finely chop vegetables. Mix with tomato, raisins, pine nuts, vinegar, oil, basil and salt. Top each toasted bread slice evenly with caponata.
Tip: If desired peel red pepper before adding to caponata Grill pepper until well charred. Place in a heatproof bowl. Cover. Let stand for 10 minutes. (The steam will make the skins easy to remove.) Peel.