Grilled Italian Sausage on a Bun with Cheese and Peppers
Serve our Grilled Italian Sausage on a Bun with Cheese and Peppers and bring hearty flavour to any occasion. Perfect for a summer barbecue, these loaded Italian sausages prepared on Dempster’s® Signature Gold Sausage Buns are sure to satisfy the whole family. Serves four.
INGREDIENTS4 Dempster’s® Signature Gold Sausage Buns, split and toasted 4 Italian sausages 1 red pepper, halved 1 green pepper, halved 1 onion, sliced into 1/2-inch (1 cm) rounds 1 cup (250 mL) tomato sauce, heated 8 slices provolone cheese, halved
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well. Grill sausages for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Meanwhile, grill red pepper, green pepper and onion rounds for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until well marked and tender. Let cool slightly; slice vegetables.
- Preheat broiler. Assemble sausages in buns with vegetables, tomato sauce and cheese.
- Broil on foil-lined baking sheet for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
• Use spicy or sweet sausages depending on preference.
• Substitute mozzarella or shredded Italian cheese blend for provolone if preferred.
• Alternatively, instead of broiling sandwiches to melt cheese, return to grill set over indirect heat. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts.