- 4 Dempster’s® Spinach 10” Tortillas, warmed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, thinly sliced
- 8 cups (2 L) packed chopped kale leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegan butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded vegan Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded vegan mozzarella cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook mushrooms for 3 minutes.
Add kale, garlic and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until wilted.
Let cool completely.
Squeeze to remove extra moisture; set aside.
Meanwhile, melt vegan butter in saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion and thyme for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
Sprinkle flour over top; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.
Slowly whisk in almond milk; bring to boil, whisking constantly.
Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, and remaining salt and pepper.
Remove from heat and stir in vegan Parmesan cheese; set aside.
Grease 10-inch (25 cm) ovenproof skillet, round baking pan or cake pan; spread 3 tbsp (45 mL) sauce over bottom.
Layer 1 tortilla, 3 tbsp (45 mL) sauce, one-third each of the kale mixture and hazelnuts over top; sprinkle with 1/4 cup (60 mL) vegan mozzarella cheese.
Repeat layers twice.
Top with tortilla, and remaining sauce and vegan mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cheese is melted and filling is bubbling.
Let stand for 10 minutes.