- 5 slices Dempster’s® White Bread
- 4 cups (1 L) cold mashed potatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cooked crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh or frozen peas
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Pulse bread in food processor to make crumbs; transfer to baking sheet. Toast bread crumbs for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown; let cool completely.
Mix together mashed potatoes, Cheddar, bacon, peas, salt and pepper until combined. Divide into 12 portions and form into logs, about 2 inches (5 cm) in length.
Place flour in shallow dish. In separate shallow dish, whisk eggs. Place bread crumbs in another shallow dish. Coat mashed potato logs first with flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs, turning to coat all over. Place on rimmed baking sheet; bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
• Serve with a lightly dressed colourful coleslaw.
• Croquettes can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated on waxed paper–lined tray for up to 12 hours. Brush with olive oil just before baking.