- 4 slices Dempster’s® Wheat Bread, toasted
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) chili flakes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 1 plum tomato, sliced
Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook mushrooms, garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and chili flakes for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms have browned and moisture has evaporated.
Spread mayonnaise over 2 slices of bread. Top with mushrooms, lettuce and tomato slices; cap with remaining slices of bread.
Tip: To add a smoky bacon-style flavour to the mushrooms, add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) liquid smoke when sautéing them.