- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) plain full-fat yogurt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and cracked black pepper
- 4 slices Dempster’s® Multi Grain Bread, toasted
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) za’atar seasoning
Line fine-meshed sieve with double layer of cheesecloth and fit over bowl (sieve should not touch bottom of bowl). Place yogurt in sieve; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate and let liquid drain for 1 to 2 days (the longer it sits, the thicker it will be). Squeeze cheesecloth gently to remove excess liquid.
Stir together drained yogurt, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Spread evenly over toast. Top with chickpeas and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with za’atar seasoning.
• You can line sieve with coffee filters as a substitute for cheesecloth.
• Top with cucumber slices if desired.
• If you like, garnish with chopped fresh parsley, mint or cilantro.