- 24 slices Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grains 12 Grain Bread
- 1 lb (500 g) sweet potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
Toss together sweet potatoes, 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper.
Arrange in single layer on parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and tender.
Let cool completely.
Toss together sweet potatoes, black beans, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and remaining salt and pepper; set aside.
Using rolling pin, roll bread slices into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness.
Using 4-inch (10 cm) round cookie cutter, cut out 24 rounds.
Spoon 1 tbsp (15 mL) filling into middle of each round.
Wet edges with water; fold over filling to enclose.
Using fork, press and seal edges of bread.
Brush empanadas with remaining oil; transfer to parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
Reduce oven temperature to 375˚F (190˚C).
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.