- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped celery
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each finely chopped fresh rosemary, sage and thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 2 slices Dempster's® 100% Whole Wheat Bread, cut into 1/4-inch (5 mm) cubes, toasted
- 1 egg
- Spiced Cranberry Sauce:
- 1 cup (250 mL) leftover cranberry sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sriracha sauce
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Heat oil in skillet set over medium heat; cook onion, celery, garlic, rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
Mix together ground beef, toasted bread cubes, onion mixture and egg; roll level tablespoonfuls (15 mL) into balls. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheet; bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
Spiced Cranberry Sauce: Meanwhile, in small saucepan set over medium heat, combine cranberry sauce with sriracha; cook until heated through.
Skewer meatballs with toothpicks and serve with sauce for dipping.
• To speed up preparation, use leftover stuffing and simply mix together with the ground beef and egg.
• To toast bread cubes, arrange in single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for about 10 minutes or until golden and crisp.