- 12 slices Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grain Ancient Grains with Quinoa Bread
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crushed, strained tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line baking tray with parchment paper; set aside.
Heat olive oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook onion and garlic for about 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add kidney beans, tomatoes, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Mash mixture slightly to break up beans (mixture should still be very chunky).
Cut crusts from bread; using rolling pin, roll out bread to flatten slightly. Trim edges to form squares. Divide filling among bread slices, leaving small border all around; top each with 1 tbsp (15 mL) cheese. Brush border edges of bread with egg; fold in half to enclose filling and gently press edges with fork to seal. Place on prepared baking sheet.
Brush tops with egg and cut a few small slits in top; bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until bread is golden brown.