- 2 slices Dempster's® Wheat Bread, toasted
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded zucchini
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded carrots
- 1 lb (500 g) ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) barbecue sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) ketchup
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In food processor, pulse toasted bread to make fine crumbs. Set aside.
Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, zucchini and carrots for 8 to 10 minutes or until softened. Let cool completely.
Mix together cooled vegetable mixture, beef, egg, barbecue sauce, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Roll into 8 balls; place each one into nonstick muffin cup. Spoon ketchup evenly over top.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted in centres reads 165°F (74°C).
Tip: Leftover meatloaves can be wrapped well and frozen. Defrost and crumble into sautéed onion, garlic and tomato sauce to make chili or sloppy joes.