Canadian Bacon and Apple Open-Faced Sandwich
This Canadian Bacon and Apple Open-Faced Sandwich is as Canadian as maple syrup. This sweet and savoury recipe includes such famous Canadian ingredients as peameal bacon, cheese curds, maple syrup and Macintosh apple slices on Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grain Double Flax Bread. It's a tasty treat any time of the day.
- 2 slices Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grain Double Flax Bread, lightly toasted
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) low-fat mayo
- 2 tsp (10 mL) real maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 4 slices Canadian back bacon (peameal), fried in non-stick pan
- 12 slices fresh Macintosh apple (1/4")
- 4 oz. (112 mL) fresh cheese curds
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium-high.
- Toast bread according to taste and place both slices on a cutting board.
- Preheat broiler.
- Cook back bacon 2 minutes per side, remove from pan and set aside.
- Mix mayo, maple syrup and Dijon together until smooth.
- Divide maple mayo evenly on each slice; top with cooked back bacon and sliced apple.
- Top with cheese curds and put under the broiler for 2-3 minutes or until melted.
- Serve with extra maple syrup if desired.