Chicken Fajita Sandwiches
Our quick-and-easy Chicken Fajita Sandwiches are a tasty twist on a family favourite. Packing all the classic fajita toppings onto Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grains No Fat No Sugar Added Multigrain Bread makes a memorable meal for lunch or dinner. Serves four.
- 8 slices Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grains No Fat No Sugar Added Multigrain Bread, toasted
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pico de gallo or tomato salsa
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook chicken for 5 to 8 minutes or until slightly browned. Stir in red pepper, green pepper, onion and chili powder. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are just tender.
- Divide fajita chicken mixture among 4 slices of toasted bread. Top with pico de gallo and avocado. Cap with remaining slices of toasted bread.
- To serve, cut in half.
Tip: For a loaded fajita sandwich, top with shredded lettuce, shredded cheese and sour cream.