- 8 slices day-old Dempster’s White Bread
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) eggnog
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) golden raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Lightly butter both sides of bread and cut in half diagonally. Layer in greased 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish.
2. In bowl, whisk together eggnog, eggs, 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar, and nutmeg; stir in raisins. Pour over bread. Let stand for about 10 minutes or until eggnog mixture is completely absorbed. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
3. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown, puffed and set in centre.
• For spiked bread pudding, add a splash of rum, brandy or whisky.
• Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with berries if desired.