- 8 slices Dempster’s Wheat Bread, dried and torn
- 3 Italian sausages, casings removed (about 10 oz/300 g)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp (5 mL) poultry seasoning
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cold butter, cubed
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C). Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble sausages into skillet; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until starting to brown. Add onion and celery; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until sausage is cooked and celery is tender-crisp. Let cool slightly.
2. Toss together sausage mixture, bread, dried cranberries, sage and poultry seasoning; add chicken broth and butter. Transfer to 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish.
3. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and set in centre.
• To dry bread, arrange slices of bread in single layer on baking sheet; let stand, uncovered, for 1 to 2 days.
• Substitute honey garlic sausage for Italian sausage.
• For stuffing with a crunchy top, bake uncovered for the last 10 minutes.