Mini Turkey Pot Pies
Mini Turkey Pot Pies made with Dempster’s® 100% Whole Wheat Bread are a delicious way to give leftover turkey new life. Individually portioned in muffin cups for an easy afternoon snack or appetizer, these pot pies are a fun take on a comfort-food classic. Serves 12.
- 12 slices Dempster's® 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 small stalk celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- Pinch dried sage
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded leftover turkey
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) frozen peas
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) shredded aged white Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Remove crusts from bread; roll slices with a rolling pin to 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness. Fit slices into lightly greased 12-cup muffin tin. Bake for about 10 minutes or lightly golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and sage for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk; bring to boil. Reduce to simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until saucy and thickened.
- Stir in turkey, peas and mustard; cook for about 2 minutes or until heated through. Spoon turkey mixture evenly into toast cups and sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven; bake for about 5 minutes or until cheese has melted. Sprinkle with chives.
Tip: To speed up preparation, you can replace the onion, carrot and celery with equivalent amount of frozen diced mixed vegetables. (If mixture includes peas, eliminate adding frozen peas in method.)