Baked Garden Vegetable Tortilla Chips with Roasted Carrot Hummus
Preparation 15 min
Total 90 min
Adding both roasted carrots and garlic to this homemade hummus adds a nice touch of sweetness.
- 4 Dempster’s® Original 10” Tortillas, each cut into 8 wedges
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 head garlic
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks (about 1¼ cups/300 mL)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1 can (540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tahini paste
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Cut just tip from head of garlic; drizzle with 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil. Wrap in foil; bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until soft and tender.
- Toss carrots with 2 tbsp of the oil (30 mL) and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper; arrange in single layer on baking sheet. Bake, turning once, for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and tender. Cool garlic and carrots completely.
- Squeeze garlic cloves into food processor; add roasted carrots, chick-peas, tahini, lemon juice, cumin and remaining oil, salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth; transfer hummus to serving bowl and sprinkle with cayenne pepper.
- Toss together tortilla wedges, oil, salt, garlic powder and pepper; arrange in single layer on large baking sheet. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy; cool completely. Serve with Roasted Carrot Hummus.