- 4 Dempster’s® Deluxe Gold Buns
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and granulated sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) packed fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) packed fresh cilantro
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) ground beef
- 4 tsp (20 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tsp (20 mL) steak seasoning
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed arugula
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled goat cheese
1. Toss together onion slices, cider vinegar, salt and sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes. Refrigerate until needed.
2. In small food processor or blender, pulse garlic clove until minced. Add parsley, cilantro, jalapeño, red chili, oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper; blend until smooth. Refrigerate until needed.
3. Mix together ground beef, Worcestershire sauce and steak seasoning; do not overwork. Divide into 4 portions and shape into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick patties.
4. Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well. Grill burgers for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until meat is cooked through and instant-read thermometer reaches 160°F (71°C) when inserted into centre of burger. Meanwhile, grill buns for 60 to 90 seconds or until lightly marked and toasted.
5. Assemble burgers in buns with spicy chimichurri sauce, arugula, avocado, tomato, pickled red onion and goat cheese.
• Add grilled thinly sliced pancetta rounds to burger if desired.
• For moist and juicy grilled burgers, use medium ground beef.