Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and Grilled Veggie Sandwich
Preparation 10 min
Total 20 min
Prepared on Dempster’s® White Bread, this Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and Grilled Veggie Sandwich is simply delicious. The grilled veggies and flavourful hummus give this vegetarian sandwich a taste that is hearty and satisfying. Serve four.
- 8 slices Dempster's® White Bread, toasted
- 1 zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch (2.5 cm) slices
- 1 portobello mushroom, stemmed and gills removed
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced in rounds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 prepared roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tahini
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- Grilled Veggie Sandwich: Preheat grill to medium-high; grease grate well. Toss together zucchini, mushroom, onion and olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, turning, for 5 to 8 minutes or until grill-marked and tender; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus: Add garlic to food processor, pulsing until minced; add chickpeas, red peppers, olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, paprika, salt and pepper; purée until smooth.
- Spread 2 tbsp (30 mL) Roasted Red Pepper Hummus on each of 4 slices of bread, reserving remaining hummus for another use. Top with grilled vegetables. Top with remaining slices of bread.
Tip: Add Roasted Red Pepper Hummus to burgers, grilled cheese or breakfast sandwiches for extra flavour.