Smoked Turkey Cubano Panini
Smoked Turkey Cubano Paninis put a gourmet twist on a lunchtime classic. Fresh dill flavour and tasty turkey on Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grains 12 Grain Bread creates a simple and satisfying grilled sandwich you'll want to enjoy again and again. Serves four.
- 8 slices Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grains 12 Grain Bread
- 2 cups (500 mL) white vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 baby cucumbers, thinly sliced into
- 1/4-inch (5 mm) rounds
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) roughly chopped fresh dill
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 12 slices smoked turkey
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- In small saucepan, stir together vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic; cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until simmering and sugar is dissolved. Toss cucumbers with dill; transfer to 4-cup (1 L) canning jar. Pour simmering mixture over cucumbers; let cool for 20 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 weeks.
- Preheat panini press to medium. Stir mayonnaise with mustard; spread over one side of 4 slices of bread. Top with pickles, turkey and cheese; cap with remaining bread.
- Grill for 3 to 5 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted and filling is warm. Serve with additional pickles on the side.
Tip: Toss a pinch of hot pepper flakes with the cucumbers for a touch of heat.